Why Extreme Environments Nutrition?
Why is a Specialty Needed?
- To allow extreme environments nutrition professionals an opportunity to communicate with one another
- To provide opportunities to increase knowledge on extreme environments nutrition
- To address nutritional, practice, public policy concerns or organizational changes regarding extreme environments nutrition
- To contribute technical expertise to the American Dietetic Association
- To market extreme environments nutrition professionals
- To recognize dietitians who have or now do practice in the extreme environments for their outstanding body of work and experience within this field
Examples of Extreme Dietitians
- Military dietitians who are called upon to enable soldiers to perform in the most difficult of terrains, from the heat of the Gulf to the cold of the arctic.
- Dietitians who are in private practice who need to use dogsled to arrive to Indian villages to practice medical nutrition therapy in the midst of an Alaskan winter.
- Dietitians who practice in a drought impacted area as in the African plains.
- There are dietitians who study the area of nutrition in ancient cultures whom existed at the time of an extreme environmental change.
- Dietitians exist, who study and practice the nutritional microgravity environment, whether off world or under the seas.
- Dietitians who practice in the private business sectors of extreme environment vacations.